- ABOUT OURMINISTRY
- NEWS &EVENTS
- ST. ANDREWCHAPTERS
- RESOURCES &REFERENCES
The news of the Brotherhood's successful ministry in bringing men to Christ within the Episcopal Church in the US spread quickly throughout the Anglican Communion. By 1886, when the first St. Andrew's CROSS magazine was published, it announced to the Church there were 500 Brotherhood chapters with 6500 members in the US In 1887 there were 2 Brotherhoods with 30 members in Canada. In 1889 the first Brotherhood was established in Britain with 12 members. This swelled to more than 200 Brotherhoods with over 2500 members within 2 years.
In 1889 the once independent, individual Brotherhoods in the US, Canada and Britain confederated to become Chapters of The Brotherhood of St. Andrew with a central office in Chicago, Illinois. While the Brotherhood continued growth in the US, its introduction to the Church of England resulted in it spreading to Scotland, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, Liberia, Ghana and West Indies. In 1892 it was estimated there were 1200 Chapters of the Brotherhood with 15,000 members throughout the entire Anglican Communion.
In 1898 the first Brotherhood Chapter was established in Japan by a Brotherhood missionary who had gone there to help establish St. Andrew's College and stayed to teach at the school.
As a result many Japanese became affiliated with the Episcopal Church and by 1902 sufficient Chapters of the Brotherhood had been established in Japan that it formed its own independent National Council to oversee its work in Japan. Today The Brotherhood of St. Andrew in Japan still maintains it own National Council.
About the time the Brotherhood began to flounder in Japan, Bro. Paul Rusch went there to work for the YMCA. He re-established the Brotherhood ministry with the help of the Brotherhood in the US. While Bro. Rusch was forced to leave Japan due to the coming threat of WWII in 1940, he had firmly established the Brotherhood there and never lost his love for the Japanese people.
Following the war, retired Colonel Paul Rusch, who had been an intelligence officer in the U.S. Army, returned to Japan. There, with assistance of the Brotherhood in the U.S., he established a mission which includes a school, a hospital and St. Andrew's Church in Kiyosato, Japan within sight of Mt. Fuji on a complex called the Kiyosato Educational Experiment Project now referred to as KEEP.
Bro. Andrew Agawa, a Japanese Brotherhood member, who became an officer in the Japanese army, was awarded the Victoria Cross by the Queen of England after the war. He had saved the lives of thousands of children and adult prisoners of war in a POW camp of which he was the commanding officer.
Bro. Agawa, at risk of his own life, prevented his prisoners from being conscripted into forced labor where prisoners from other POW camps were slaughtered or died of exhaustion and malnutrition.
Many Brotherhood missionaries volunteered to work in China, Brazil, Panama and other countries where the Episcopal Church was being established. During these years, the Church considered the Brotherhood as the evangelism arm of the Church.
During WWI, no Chapters were established in military bases overseas. However, during WWII many Chapters were organized at bases behind and near the front lines. Following the war, Chapters were formed among the Army of Occupation in Germany, Italy, Japan and some of the Pacific islands where the commander was an Episcopalian with knowledge of the Brotherhood and its ministry to bring men to Christ.
During the Korean conflict several Chapters were established at military bases with permission of the base commander and at the request of the Episcopal Chaplain. We have no record of Chapters being formed overseas during the Vietnam war.
In 1892 the Brotherhood in the US sent 3 missionaries to the Philippines to work with the US Armed Services there. Several Chapters were established at various bases with the object of bringing the men to Christ. Since there was no Episcopal Church in the Philippines, the Brotherhood established St. Peter's Mission Church in Manila. Soon the local Filipino people became interested in attending Bible study programs and worship services at St. Peter's Mission.
By the time the Brotherhood withdrew their missionaries a year later, St. Peter's had become a thriving Mission Church and the history of the Church in the Philippines records this as the site where The Brotherhood of St. Andrew began the first Episcopal Church of the Philippines.
As a result of the missionary work of the Church of England, Brotherhood Chapters existed for many years in South Africa, Ghana and Liberia.
However, when the Church of England decided the laity in The Brotherhood of St. Andrew had become too independent, the bishops of the Church dissolved the Brotherhood and advised all Chapters that they were to become a chapter of the Church of England Men's Society (CEMS).
This resulted in little to no contact with the former Brotherhood men in Britain and we lost contact with the Brotherhood in Africa.
In 1980, as the result of the formation of the new Diocese of Mukono in the Anglican Church in the Province of Uganda, Bro. Frank Marshall, Chairman of the National Council of the Brotherhood, was sent there by the Presiding Bishop to visit the new Diocese and report on its needs to the Presiding Bishop's Fund for World Relief.
When the needs were listed, they were many, but the Fund directors decided the Mukono area was too unstable to fund any program there. Bandit remnants of recently overthrown Idi Amin's army controlled much of the new Mukono Diocese.
Bro. Marshall told about the needs of the Bbaale Village in the Mukono Diocese at a meeting of the Finance Committee of the Brotherhood held in Connecticut. The Finance Committee agreed unanimously that the Brotherhood should make an effort to set up a program of assistance in the remote Bbaale Village in Uganda. The program was called "The Bbaale Farm Project" and a fund of approximately $8000 was set up to begin work there.
Since our initial funding of a chicken farm, renovating St. Andrew's Church, building a residence for the local priest, hiring of a lay farmer to teach in the village, shipping two containers with tools, a tractor, a grain mill, bicycles and clothes, the Bishop of Mukono, the Rt. Rev. Livingstone M. Nkoyoyo, asked that we build an orphanage in Bbaale. This was completed in 1997 and now houses 66 children. Sponsors among the Brotherhood, parish churches and other friends contribute $30 a month to cover food, housing, clothes, schooling and health care of the children.
Bishop Nkoyoyo has now been enthroned as Archbishop of the Province of Uganda. At his request The Brotherhood of St. Andrew purchased an office building in Mukono which is the African Office of the Brotherhood. The Rev. Titus Baraka is employed full time as the Executive Director of the Brotherhood in Uganda and Africa. We now have 22 Chapters with over 500 members in Uganda and 12 Chapters with 160 members in South Africa.
As the result of visiting the U.S. and obtaining information on the Brotherhood, the then Bishop of Shaba in Zaire, now Congo, Rt. Rev. Emmanuel Kolini, began 25 Brotherhood Chapters in his diocese. Later we learned Rt. Rev. Methusela Munzenda, Bishop of Nord Kivu in Zaire had established 20 Chapters in his diocese.
Due to the factional problems in Congo (formerly Zaire) we have not been able to make contact with these Chapters.
During another sabbatical to the US, Bishop Kolini learned the Zarian government had "terminated" his citizenship and sent his family to live in Rwanda. The Muslim factions leading government had made it a practice to rid the country of all Christian clergy, especially the bishops, and Bishop Kolini being in the US provided an ideal opportunity to restrict his reentry to Zaire.
About the same time Bishop Munzenda, who had been told several times to leave Zaire by the local government army commander, returned to his home one Sunday evening, after visits to several parishes in his Diocese, to find bed and bedroom shot up with bullet holes. Considering this as a final threat to leave, Bishop Munzenda now resides in Kenya.
After establishing his home in Rwanda, Bishop Kolini was enthroned as Archbishop of the Province of Rwanda. During a visit with the Archbishop, Rev. Paul Nsubuga, Executive Director of the Brotherhood's African Office, was asked to establish chapters of the Brotherhood in all parishes in Rwanda. This task has just begun in Rwanda.
It is Archbishop Kolini's belief that by bringing together the Tutsi and Hutu tribal factions of Rwanda in chapters of the Brotherhood of St. Andrew, they will learn to love and respect each other as Christian brothers. He hopes and prays this will overcome the hatred and mistrust between the Tutsi and Hutu tribes that has existed for more than 100 years and lead to the slaughter of 500,000 Tutsi and moderate Hutu people that took place in 1997 - 1998 under the Hutu controlled government.
The Brotherhood has also been invited to help with the orphan problem in Rwanda by finding sponsor to support the children's needs for housing, food, clothing, schooling and health care.
Brotherhood mission headquarters in Kiyosato, Japan.
Japanese Brotherhood chapter.
Bishop William J. Skilton is Bishop Suffragan of South Carolina and Canon Missioner for International Ministry for the Brotherhood. He is shown here with some young friends from Honduras.
The Brotherhood in Ghana supports this church school at St. Peter's Anglican parish at Nungua, a suburb of the Ghana capital city of Accra (1.1 million population).